What is Butte MT known for?
Butte [bju: t] is a city in the US state of Montana in Silver Bow County, the county seat of which it is. It has 33,892 inhabitants (as of 2000 census) on an area of 1856.5 km².
Butte was founded as a mining settlement towards the end of the 19th century and experienced rapid development at times. In 1880 there were 3,363 inhabitants, then 39,165 in 1910. As early as 1911 as largest city in Montana specified, the population of the place grew again after the First World War and the place was due to the rich gold and silver deposits in the area as richest hill in the world designated.
Today there is not much left of the former wealth and the city has had a very high unemployment rate since the mines were shut down. Butte lives mainly from tourism, which is made possible by the relatively well-preserved mine buildings. The Berkeley Pit, a former open pit mine filled with contaminated water, is known nationwide. The Dumas Brothel, a largely original brothel from the founding days of Butte, is now a museum.
Butte was the location of the 2005 film Don't Come Knocking by Wim Wenders and is also the location of the first third of the novel "The Card of My Dreams" by Reif Larsen.
On March 22, 2009, a Pilatus PC-12 crashed into the Holy Cross cemetery (Holy Cross Cemetery) 14 people died.
sons and daughters of the town
- John Bonner, politician
- Patricia Briggs, author, prefers to write fantasy stories
- Chick Bullock, jazz singer
- Barbara Ehrenreich, non-fiction author and journalistic columnist
- Kirby Grant, actor
- Evel Knievel, motorcycle stunt man
- Andrea Leeds, actress
- Levi Leipheimer, professional cyclist
- Jerry J. O’Connell, politician, US House of Representatives
- Arnold Olsen, politician, member of the US House of Representatives
- Martha Raye, actress
- Jim Rotondi, jazz trumpeter, flugelhorn player, band leader and teacher
- ↑ abhttp://chestofbooks.com/reference/Encyclopedia-Britannica-2/Butte-Montana-U-S-A.html
- Will Bitcoin be legal in India in 2020
- Are Petri nets complete
- Is this enlightenment what I experience
- What is italian food
- What was known about Majd al Assad
- Is fracking really not economical
- Was Bernie Sanders ever a real socialist?
- Where should I celebrate my birthday
- Why do we die of stress
- The voters need wisdom for voting
- What is now similar to Backpage
- Can calculate tianhe 2 9 9 9
- What is EMR usually made of
- How massive is London
- Which smartphone is best among 20,000
- What is vape pen lung disease
- What is nitrogen meaning
- Is the singularity point massive
- What is negative 1 in binary
- Are protons really round
- What does the timing advance and delay do?
- It hurts to lose virginity
- What is meant by limit state
- Why do people invest in ICOs