What kind of websites is WooCommerce suitable for?
WooCommerce: The Advantages & Disadvantages of the Popular Shop Plugin
WooCommerce is the leading and free e-commerce shop system in the WordPress universe. The plugin transforms your WordPress blog into a fully equipped online shop - all with one click. WooCommerce is characterized above all by its simplicity and versatility.
The story of the popular e-commerce plugin
Like WordPress itself, WooCommerce offers its own complete plugin and theme economy and convinces with its simple modular structure. The rapid history of WooCommerce began in 2011 when WooThemes developed WooCommerce as a shop system plugin, in addition to its well-known themes and plugins. WooCommerce emerged from the then very well-known plugin Jigoshop and became the most successful shop system in WordPress in the same year.
E-book: online shop with WooCommerce
Do you want to set up an online shop with WooCommerce? You can find tips on this in our 70+ page e-book WooCommerce for professionals: Online shops with WordPress. It is aimed at freelancers, agencies, WP professionals but also at beginners.
In 2015, WooCommerce was then bought out as a logical consequence of Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com, and gradually integrated into the WordPress economy. Today, according to BuiltWith, over 3.3 million websites use the popular WordPress plugin.
WooCommerce - The basis for your online shop
Technically, WooCommerce only provides the basis for a successful shop. On WooCommerce.com you will find a variety of premium and free plugins, such as the plugins for the payment service providers Stripe, Amazon Pay and Klarna, with which you can expand your shop according to your needs.
In addition to the standard WordPress theme “Twenty Nineteen”, there is even the standard theme “Storefront”, which was developed explicitly for the use of WooCommerce. The basic theme impresses with its absolute simplicity and offers an excellent basis for setting up a shop. Storefront's features are all geared towards e-commerce.
The features of Storefront are:
- Optimized especially for WooCommerce
- Full-fledged responsive design
- Basic setting options via the Theme Customizer
- Lots of child themes and plugins to expand the theme
Storefront now has a lot of premium and free child themes. So everyone can adapt the theme to their taste. If you want to invest a little more, you should take a look at the most popular WooCommerce theme “Flatsome”.
Is WooCommerce suitable for your shop?
WooCommerce is ideal for small and medium-sized companies that manage their shop and website independently and only have a limited budget.
An enormous number of shop cases can be drawn with WooCommerce, such as:
- physical products (e.g. jam or self-knitted scarves)
- digital products (e.g. own books or patterns)
- Tickets (e.g. for concerts, seminars or congresses)
- Protected member areas (e.g. for online training)
- even external products (e.g. such as an affiliate of amazon).
These are the advantages of WooCommerce
Compared to other shop systems on the market, WooCommerce has the following advantages:
- A high scalability and low shop costs compared to other shop systems
- Fast setup using the WooCommerce wizard, knowledge of HTML and CSS is usually not necessary
- With WordPress the use of a full-fledged Content management systems (CMS)
- A seemingly endless variety free and paid plugins & themes:
- You can find free WooCommerce plugins in the official WordPress plugin directory.
- There are chargeable WooCommerce extensions e.g. at WooCommerce.com or Codecanyon.
- Here is a list of the most important plugins for WooCommerce.
- You can find free WooCommerce themes in the WordPress theme directory.
- Paid WooCommerce themes are available from Themeforest, for example.
- A completely own "WooCommerce economy”Which has developed alongside WordPress. This means that the further development of WooCommerce is as good as guaranteed.
- There is a huge, international one WooCommerce communitywith whom you can exchange ideas:
- in the WordPress support forum
- in the Facebook group “WooCommerce Help & Share”
- in the Facebook group “Advanced WooCommerce”
- The German market for WooCommerce has just started to grow.
- It usually still is cheaperTo use WooCommerce premium plugins than other shop systems.
- For WooCommerce there is numerous connections to accounting systems, POS systems and warehouse management, such as Lexoffice, Billbee or Sevdesk.
WordPress with WooCommerce: these are the disadvantages
Unfortunately, there are also a few disadvantages that you should be aware of when using WooCommerce. I would like to explain which these are in the following:
1. Distress made in Germany
WooCommerce was developed in the USA and is therefore not optimized for the German market. That means: If you want to sell your products on the German or European market, you need another plugin, such as the free WordPress plugin Germanized or the premium plugin German Market.
Both plugins make your shop legally secure in Germany and Europe. They complement your WooCommerce shop with a variety of additional functions, such as invoice PDF, delivery note, VAT output in the right places, calculation of price per unit, strike price, legally compliant checkout, etc.
2. Legal texts not included
From the outset, WooCommerce does not provide any legal texts such as terms and conditions, data protection declaration, revocation regulations, shipping regulations, directory of procedures, etc. With. The plugins mentioned in point 1 or providers of legal texts such as IT law firm, dealer association or protected shops help here. See our article Making WooCommerce legally compliant.
3. Manageable German WooCommerce community
The German-speaking WooCommerce community is a very small community, which can lead to problems when looking for little help. In this case I recommend the following contact points:
You can find more good sources & resources at:
- WooExperte - Here you can also find online training courses on the topic of WooCommerce
- MarketPress Blog - Very good entry-level article on WooCommerce
4. Focus on the US market
The focus of the development of WooCommerce is on the US market, which unfortunately leads to problems with feature requests or adjustments to the current legal situation. The above two plugins or the legal text providers can help here. In the event of major legal changes (such as the GDPR), special attention should be paid to whether WooCommerce or other extensions will make adjustments here. It is therefore always worth taking a look at the Make Blog from WooCommerce. There you can find current adjustments to the WooCommerce plugin, beta versions, release candidates, etc. follow.
5. Test first, then update!
- What is the Buddhist belief in reincarnation
- What are some dissertation topics in business
- Is socialism morally justified
- The demon Lucifer is human
- Is advertising really about storytelling?
- What is temporal coherence
- Why are chinchillas popular pets
- What is the best alkaline water ionizer
- Who is Danny Devito
- What is the purpose of standardizing data
- Where is Gurudwara Sahib in Belgaum
- What are some great puzzle questions
- Is e Visa India a real website
- How does a sport mode drive
- Is Kali Linux PWK Hacking Course good
- How to thaw a turkey
- How good is avatar
- How do I stop being selfless
- Who designed the new $ 100 bill?
- Where can I study space technology
- How can business cards be made more useful?
- Why is Andre Russell Dre Russ called
- How are 12-digit phone numbers possible
- What are some great puzzle questions