Can a Ford Focus transmission be repaired?
Gearbox defective / gearbox damage - symptoms, repairs / replacement as well as costs incurred simply and briefly explained!
The gearbox has the task of stepping up or stepping down the speed and torque of the combustion engine and transferring it to the wheel or axle drive. It is also responsible for reversing the direction of rotation when reversing.
Modern cars have it either via manual gearbox with manual gearshift or via automatic or dual clutch gearbox, which start up and shift automatically.
Regardless of its type, the transmission can wear out with increasing mileage and load on the car.
A lack of gear oil or the use of an unsuitable gear oil, as well as material defects or thermal overloads are among the causes of gear damage.
Depending on the extent of the damage, the entire transmission or individual components can be repaired, overhauled or completely replaced.
Symptoms / signs of a defective gearbox
As is so often the case, there are various signs that can indicate a defect. Below you can see a selection of the most common symptoms, depending on the type of transmission:
- The gear stick cannot be operated as usual, individual gears cannot be engaged or are difficult to engage and jump out again.
Automatic transmission / DSG / automated transmission:
- Shifting operations are rough or "rough".
- Switching processes take longer than usual.
- The power from the engine is not transmitted completely, not at all or only from a certain speed (increased engine speed, no / little propulsion).
- Driving is only possible in certain speed levels or in emergency mode.
- The transmission makes unusual noises while driving or when the engine is idling.
- Vibrations occur when driving.
- Transmission oil is leaking out because the transmission is leaking. If the cause is not remedied in good time, gear damage is to be expected as the gearbox jams due to insufficient lubrication.
- The gear oil is very dark, smells burnt or has absorbed a lot of metal debris / chips.
You should also pay attention to the symptoms mentioned above during a test drive as part of a used car purchase!
Did you know that all modern cars (built around 2003 or later) have a very comprehensive fault memory that you can read out yourself? You can find suitable devices at Amazon *, for example.
What could a defect in the gearbox be confused with?
With a manual transmission, the symptoms may be mistaken for a defective clutch. Here it is important to first have the separation and slip behavior of the clutch checked. You can find more on this topic in our guide to coupling defects.
In addition, if the gear oil level is too low, gears can no longer be engaged or disengaged. Overall, changing the transmission oil (and flushing the transmission in the case of an automatic transmission) often eliminates individual symptoms.
In the case of an automatic transmission / DSG / automated transmission, other electronic defects such as a defective brake light switch are also conceivable for individual symptoms.
Vehicles from VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Volvo and Opel are affected by the diesel scandal. Check here until May 21, 2021 free of charge and without obligation, whether you are entitled to compensation - done in just 1 minute! * Now for a quick online check *
Repair or change of the transmission
First of all, the question arises whether a repair / overhaul of the transmission is possible or whether the component has to be completely replaced. There are basically three options:
- The defective gearbox will be repaired by a specialized workshop. Here the gearbox is removed and dismantled so that defective individual parts such as gears, bearings and / or synchronizer rings can be replaced with new components.
- The defective gearbox will be replaced by a replacement part / used part. This is often the most economical option, but is only recommended if your series is not known for transmission problems. Otherwise it is not uncommon for you to have "the same problems in your car".
- The defective gearbox is completely replaced by a new one.
Procedure when replacing the gearbox with a used or new part
Once the diagnosis of a defective gearbox has been confirmed, the removal of the gearbox can be started. To do this, the vehicle is first lifted on a lifting platform. The next step is to drain the gear oil.
Depending on the vehicle model, various other components or add-on parts such as panels, car batteries, starters, drive shafts, torque arms, subframes and the gearbox holder must first be dismantled to remove the transmission.
Before load-bearing components such as the gearbox holder can be dismantled, the engine must be secured or suspended with an engine bridge or other special tool.
Since the gearbox is a very heavy component, it is necessary to remove and install ita special transmission jack is used. If the old gear is removed, the new gear is installed so that all surrounding components can also be reassembled.
Finally, during a test drive, it is checked whether the transmission is working properly.
Procedure for a gearbox repair
After dismantling, the entire transmission is first dismantled into its individual parts. These are then carefully cleaned and checked for wear and tear.
Wear parts likeBrake bands, clutches, seals or filters are replaced. The same applies to all other damaged components, such as worn gears or a defective shaft bearing.
Finally, the transmission is subjected to several electronic test runs. If these work as expected, they are installed in the vehicle and a test drive takes place.
Independent repair attempts should be avoided. The reason for this is that dismantling, dismantling and reassembling the gearbox is very complex and requires both special tools and specialist knowledge.
Costs for the replacement / repair of a gearbox
Alongside the engine, the transmission is one of the most expensive parts of a car.General statements about the costs for replacement or repair cannot be made.
The reason for this is that the effort involved in a repair is heavily dependent on the respective defect in the gearbox and the construction. In addition, only a few specialist workshops specialize in gearbox repairs.
If you decide on a repaired replacement gearbox, we recommend going to a free workshop and, if necessary, ordering the spare part yourself on the Internet. By the way, it is usually the case that you then also have to send in / hand in the defective gearbox.
For a new or replacement part, the costs vary greatly depending on the vehicle model, the engine and the number of gears. For particularly popular series - such as the GOLF V - there is also a significantly larger range of overhauled gearboxes than for rarer series.
Overall, you can roughly reckon with material costs between 200 and 2,000 euros for a repaired replacement gearbox.
A distinction is made between partially overhauled (only defective wear parts have been replaced) and general overhauled (as a precaution, all wear parts have been replaced) gearboxes. The latter are always more expensive.
The most expensive option is always to buy a new part with material costs of mostly 3,000 euros and more. However, this is seldom absolutely necessary.
The duration of the gear change cannot be specified as a flat rate either. You can roughly assume an effort of between 3 and up to 10 hours.
This is mainly dependent on how easy it is to dismantle add-on parts and whether many other components have to be dismantled in order to be able to change to the transmission.
Based on an hourly rate of 80 euros, this results in labor costs of 240 to 800 euros.
|Material / service||estimated prices|
|Gearbox (used replacement part)||200 to 2,000 euros|
|Workload||240 to 800 euros|
If the transmission is defective through no fault of your own - especially if the car is less than five years old - we recommend that you submit a goodwill application in any case.
TIP: Do not drive to a workshop before you have determined the current value of your vehicle. So you always know in advance exactly the cost up to which a repair is still worthwhile!
Simply use the following form from wirkaufendeinauto.de (100% free and non-binding).
Increase the service life of the gear unit
Basically, you should always switch to "soft". Even high speeds when shifting can cause increased wear! With manual transmissions, it is important that the clutch is always fully depressed when shifting.
If there are the first signs of transmission problems, a specialist workshop should be visited as soon as possible. So you can often avoid major damage with a direct repair or a gear oil change.
Checking and changing gear oil
Transmission oil is present in manual transmissions as well as in automatic transmissions and automated transmissions. With the latter, the correct fill level should be checked regularly in the workshop. In some cases, this is also possible independently with an oil dipstick, as is the case with engine oil.
While a fixed oil change interval is often specified in automatic transmissions, the oil in manual transmissions is usually only changed when other work is being carried out on the transmission.
Regardless of the type of gearbox, new oil increases its service life, and it can also remedy minor problems.
In the case of automatic transmissions, a transmission flush is also possible. This helps ensure that an automatic transmission runs smoothly again and prevents transmission damage.
Because with a conventional transmission oil change, half of the used oil often remains in the transmission due to the construction, so that not all impurities such as metal chips can be removed. A rinse ensures that such impurities and other residues are removed.
New, consumer-friendly BGH judgments! Vehicles from VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Volvo and Opel are affected by the diesel scandal. Here you can check free of charge and without obligation whether you are entitled to compensation - done in just 1 minute! * Now for a quick online check *
Still unanswered questions?Do you have a vehicle-specific question? Do you doubt the correctness of an invoice? Many problems are very vehicle-specific and cannot be explained in general terms. Our goal is still very clear: We want to help you! We currently have two further options for this:
- Drivers & mechanics help
- Response time: around 3 days
- Certified automotive mechatronics technicians help
- Answer optionally within 24 hours
- guaranteed independent
- ideal as a second opinion
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Did this article help you? If so, we look forward to your positive rating! With this you help us to make your-autoreparatur.de better known!
Now click on "5 stars" on the far right. Many Thanks!
(68 Rating (s), on average: 4,19 of 5)
- What motivates people to share content
- Does the weight influence the speed
- Used car oil is poisonous
- What is social group work
- How Can Anyone Make Money From Freelance Writing
- In which box is Voldemort's wand
- How is FIITJEE Thane
- Who can appear for the NEST exam
- What is nitrogen meaning
- What made Aquaman a good film
- What is mouse DPI
- What are the best hacks for ROBLOX
- Which HTML editor are you using
- What is a production system
- Do you make to-do lists
- Can rust gold
- Has the Me Too movement reached Indonesia
- What is Madagascar's relative location
- Do google photos work with iPhones
- What are some cool vaping tricks
- How can I contact the French embassy?
- Who came first to Lenin or Stalin
- Who taught John Lennon to play the harmonica
- How is the elastic energy measured
- Which means much more
- You have to have what apps are
- Can I change my name and my age?
- Why is the appearance of cosmetic products important
- How should I create a curriculum
- Why did God create multiple races
- What is Khan's best film
- Is Stripe a secure payment service
- How did Obama deal with hecklers
- What is the best tool for learning