Why are poisonous frogs colored
Color in animals and plants
Animal colors impress and camouflage
In the animal world, colors regulate togetherness. Birds, for example, are eye animals. When choosing a partner, they look carefully at how a possible candidate presents themselves visually: While the females usually dress in camouflage colors so that they are not discovered during breeding, the males advertise in iridescent plumage.
After all, in the case of birds, the females choose their partners. With flamingos, however, the color of the plumage has nothing to do with the choice of partner. Their feathers are colored by their food: small crabs rich in carotenoids, color pigments.
Many amphibians are also beautifully colored. Poison dart frogs are particularly eye-catching. On purpose, because their colors - whether bright red, bright yellow, black, bright green or blue - are intended to scare off possible enemies. Their colors signal their toxicity and at the same time ensure their survival.
Even non-toxic animal species have noticed this in the course of evolution. They have adapted and simply use certain warning colors, even if they are completely harmless. Like hover flies, which have a black and yellow warning color, just like wasps. However, they lack the poison sting.
Color instead of language
Different animal species can sometimes even change their color in seconds, such as chameleons or squids. On the one hand, to adapt perfectly to their respective surroundings so that enemies do not discover them. On the other hand, with their change of color, they also express feelings.
For example, anger or fear in a fight or willingness to couple. Other animal species, such as certain coral fish, which form territories, change their color markings several times in their youth, so that they are not seen as food competitors by older conspecifics. Here, too, color serves as a means of communication.
Mammals, on the other hand, are less colorful. Their fur is usually color-matched to their habitat for camouflage. Like the white polar bears, which can sneak up on prey almost invisibly in the snow. The lack of color does not matter to most mammal species as many cannot see any color.
However, many of them have beautiful coat markings. The conspecifics recognize each other by them. Stripes and spots also serve as camouflage. The striped tigers can roam almost invisibly in dense forests or tall grass.
Numerous types of plants do not just leave it with a simple green. The pollinators from the insect kingdom, which are vital for their species, attract them with sometimes strikingly colored flowers. Their colors promise nourishment - nectar and pollen.
Many brightly colored fruits also tempt you to eat them. Here, too, the color serves to spread and preserve the species.
Our colorful planet
But not only the living nature of our planet shows fascinating colors, but also the inanimate part of the earth. For example volcanoes that spew red magma from their throats, oceans that reflect the blue of the sky or colorful, sparkling gemstones that confuse the senses of many of us.
- Why is New York University so expensive
- What will be the mindset while studying
- How many Trinidadian live in India
- Have you ever eaten a shark
- You can get your tooth enamel back
- Will climate change lead to human extinction?
- Do stepfathers respect the biological father
- Frying vegetables is healthier than steaming
- Which proofreading pages are hiring
- Is cannibalism illegal
- Can you compost soil
- What is temporary gallery
- How does the enzyme actually catalyze a reaction?
- How can I identify a good student
- What are the possibilities of the multiverse
- How are airplanes developed?
- Do you like iOS 12
- Which film is best suited to motivate us
- How does WhatsApp generate its sales
- What are the best sabudana recipes
- Why shouldn't margarine be used in cooking?
- What causes angina pain
- May women have a large penis head
- What does a red door mean
- What is the recipe of Chenna Poda
- What are good recipes with soy pieces
- What is fundamental analysis forex
- Does Dish TV work in Dubai
- What was the name of Pavlov's dog
- How warm it gets in Phoenix
- Should we all ban advertising Why
- Are hairline cracks in walls dangerous