What are the best sabudana recipes
Cooking with sago is not difficult
Cooking with sago has gone out of style. In grandma’s time, however, it was common to cook with sago or pearl sago and to prepare cold dishes.
Sago is a wonderful way to thicken soups or to create a refreshing dessert from fruit juices. Sago is also a good vegan alternative as an insert for desserts or soups.
Therefore, more and more nutrition-conscious and vegans are rediscovering this miracle pearl.
What is sago?
Real sago, also called real pearl sago because of its shape, is obtained from the sago palm. By scratching the trees, the sap is released and collected. But it is also obtained from the palm pulp of the sago palm.
In contrast to fake sago, which is obtained from other plants such as cassava.
It is tasteless and odorless, so Sago can be used anywhere as a binding agent. When dried, they are small, hard, white spheres. After boiling, the pearls will become transparent.
The name of the starchy globules originally comes from Papua New Guinea, which suggests its origin. Perlsago is part of everyday life here for the production of flat bread. So it is not surprising that sago means something like "bread". In the 13th century, Sago was brought to Europe by Marco Polo and used for the first time.
The small, 1 to 3 mm large sago granules are created when stiff starch dough is spread through a sieve onto a heated metal plate. The heat causes the outer skin to gelatinize, so that the grains keep their shape when they are cooked.
Nutritional content of sago
Sago faat consists entirely of pure starch and is therefore a carbohydrate. It contains only small amounts of protein, fat and fiber and almost no vitamins and minerals.
Cooking sago properly
Pearl sago is mainly used for desserts or soups. It has a binding effect and ensures a firmer consistency of the dishes. There are a few things to keep in mind when using it.
Do I need to soak sago before cooking?
You shouldn't wash or soak sago. Sago is made of starch, so the sago (these are actually starch powder balls) dissolves every time it comes into contact with water before boiling!
Always put sago in boiling water
Sago must be put in boiling water. That way, the outermost layer of the sago bead is instantly cooked, creating a seal that keeps the shape.
Sago must be constantly stirred during the cooking process. This takes about 20 minutes to cook until it is translucent. Otherwise there will be lumps.
How long does sago have to cook?
The cooking time varies depending on the use.
- Use as whole pearls
Cook sago over a medium heat for about 10-12 minutes with the lid slightly open. It's done when the core of the pearls still looks a bit whitish. Even if you think they haven't been cooked all the way through, the cooking time is over here. If you cook sago pearls for more than 15 minutes, the starch shell loses its integrity and dissolves. Now turn off the stove and let the pearl sago sit for 30 minutes so that the middle of the sago pearls can also cook. You can now put the cooked sago pearls in a sieve and rinse them off. The sago shouldn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Sago to thicken
Add the sago to the soup or, for fruit dessert, to the fruit juice and cook everything on the lowest level for 30 - 45 minutes.
Is Perlsago vegan?
Yes, Sago is vegan.
Where can you buy Sago?
Sago can be bought in well-stocked supermarkets. You can also simply order it here *:
Photo credits: Unless otherwise indicated: © Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or © Unsplash.com. As an Amazon partner, I earn from qualified purchases. The references marked with an asterisk (*) are so-called commission links. If you click on such a referral link and shop via this link, I will receive a commission from your purchase. This income helps us to run this website and to make our recipes available free of charge. For you the price doesn't change.
- What do you think of Emir Radoncic
- Why do online videos sometimes lag?
- Which food has the most starch
- Why is the resurrection of Jesus so important
- What are tooth-split belts made of
- Why doesn't Flickr offer an option to buy
- How famous is the Pakistan Super League
- How often should you paint furniture
- Are you a commercial or private pilot
- Why is Aoun now supporting Hezbollah?
- Can a dentist give me an implant
- What are fungal diseases
- How long are the USPS routes running
- How do we shut down yahoo
- Is Dior makeup non-comedogenic?
- What is the strength of our nation
- Why does a capacitor burn out
- Can Siri make calls
- Have you felt enlightenment
- Mike Flynn gets fired
- When does admission to MAPC MA Psychology begin?
- Is deleting IAS that difficult
- What are Brian Bis's favorite physics books
- Offer plumbers free estimates
- How does the ion size affect the conductivity?
- Kamala Harris is on an electric journey
- What are you using Wolfram Alpha for?
- Do you like candied fruits
- What does 2 5 bathrooms mean
- What are some fun facts about California
- What is the difference between wave and microwave
- What should I know about Girish Karnad
- What are the best decks for Artifact
- You can do a reverse email search