Has a visa ever been hacked
Solar Winds: Intern is said to be to blame for bad password of the hacked server
Numerous companies, but also US authorities, were affected by the hack of an update server operated by the software company Solar Winds at the end of last year. Soon afterwards it became known that the password of the affected server was "solarwinds123". According to the former Solar Winds CEO Kevin Thompson, this is said to have been caused by an intern who violated the company's password guidelines by posting the password on the private Github account.
"As soon as that was recognized and my security team was made aware of it, they deleted it," Thompson said at a Senate hearing last Friday. The security problem is said to have existed since at least 2018, but according to statements made on Friday it could have existed for much longer, reports "Gizmodo".
Vulnerability known for years
As early as 2019, the security expert Vinoth Kumar made the group aware that anyone could access the update server with the password "solarwinds123". During the Senate hearing, however, the current Solar Winds CEO, Sudhakar Ramakrishna, said that the same password had been used on one of the intern's servers since 2017.
It is currently unclear whether the password actually played a role in the hacker attack. Nor is it known which data has actually been accessed or who is responsible for it. While government circles suspect Russian hackers to be behind the attack, the Kremlin rejects responsibility.
Last February, Microsoft chief lawyer Brad Smith said that after an in-depth analysis, the group assumed more than 1,000 participants. But that's not all. "From a software development perspective, it can probably be said that this is the largest and most sophisticated attack the world has ever seen," says Smith. Because 4,000 lines of code were rewritten for the backdoor necessary for the attack and then distributed via update, reported "Golem".
In the case of Microsoft, the hackers apparently broke into the company's network and had access to the Windows source code there - but they could not have changed it. (mick, 1.3.2021)
- Howcome mobile gaming industry is growing rapidly
- What is a computer bus network
- Who is Gopika Varma
- Why is it difficult to please Vishnu
- What is the worst NFL football team
- How many pizza chains are there
- What are CPVC and SWR pipes
- How is a swamp created
- How does it take to learn assembly language
- Why do people touch a girl inappropriately
- What does the required checkpoint on Instagram mean
- Password managers are not hackable
- Our brain has always dreamed
- Why are Blackberry Phones so expensive
- How could I get out of ADHD
- What are the properties of Babbitt Metal
- Meth addicts smell
- What is a void in Java
- Which book is good for python
- Nicki Minaj is Mexican
- How many shotgun ads are there
- Which medical journals have free subscriptions
- How do you feel when you know how to code
- President Trump is afraid to attack Iran