What you’ll need
- Petri dishes, 5-10 pieces
- Lysogenic nutrient medium LB
- Microbiological loop
- Gloves and mask
- Kitchen scales or at least “weight” app on your smartphone
- A stove
To get the items from paragraphs 1 to 5 by simply buying a set for school laboratory work: it will cost you about 5 thousand rubles.
Prepare a nutrient medium
- Take any container, the volume of which you are aware of, and pour the water back.
- Pour in a Cup of LB at the rate of 25 grams per liter.
- Send same agar from the calculation to its share in the solution was about 1-2%.
- Boil the entire mixture (do this in the microwave, for example) so that the agar is dissolved, then let it cool.
- Add a solution of glucose at the rate of 360 milligrams per 100 milliliter. Possible — but within reason. Can add yeast extract: it is a growth factors, you need some bacteria.
- Heat all this up to 80 degrees (here you will need a thermometer for the oven or just a digital thermometer with a probe). All the environment is ready.
Tell the truth: we this stage is “hacked” and used the equipment of the laboratory of Boris Renuka from the research Institute of Physico-Chemical Biology. A. N. Belozersky. We used the autoclave to sterilize the environment and laminar box for all other preparations.