Heredity explained half of the differences in sensitivity of adolescents

Heredity determines 47 percent of the differences in the level of sensitivity. These are the findings of the first research that examined the genetic underpinnings of this trait. However, as noted by the authors in the journal Molecular Psychiatry, the overall sensitivity and sensitivity to negative and positive events are inherited independently.

Some people endure heavy losses, and others for weeks worried about the offensive comment on the Internet. The reasons for such profound differences in sensitivity remain unknown. Although some hypotheses suggest that high sensitivity has a genetic nature, and even adaptive significance, no one still didn’t know whether she inherited.

To understand this issue decided by a team of specialists headed by Michael Pluscom (Michael Pluess), University of London, Queen Mary. Scientists have used the results of psychological testing of 16,000 pairs of twins born from 1994 to 1996 and examined at the age of 16-17 years in the framework of the TEDS (Twins Early Development Study).

From this set, the team took data on 2868 adolescents homozygous and heterozygous twins. First researchers were interested in rating they received on a scale of sensitivity. It was calculated on the basis of answers to 12 questions special questionnaire, which related to the psychological, physical and aesthetic aspects of sensitivity.

After analyzing this information, scientists concluded that heredity determines 47 percent of the differences in sensitivity among adolescents. The remaining 53 percent are explained by other factors, such as the influence of the environment. The authors hope that future research will identify specific genetic variants associated with sensitivity.

The study also showed that individual differences in sensitivity arise from three independently inherited components. The first relates to the General level of sensitivity, the second sensitivity to negative stimuli (psychological and physical aspects), and the third to positive experiences (aesthetic aspect). Their combination lead to the fact that some people are more sensitive to trouble, and other happy events.

Further analysis showed that the sensitivity is positively correlated with neuroticism and negatively with extraversion. The similarity between these characteristics were hereditary nature, and the differences are mainly determined by the environment. The relationship of sensitivity to other features of the “Big five” could not be detected.

Some people experience make us eat more than usual. As shown by a recent study, increase of appetite in a bad mood is characterized mainly for those who are emotionally dependent on food. Those who restrict their eating, to the “seizure” of stress tend not to — and they, apparently, helps enhanced cognitive processing.

Sergey Knee High

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.