In the Trinity-Sergius Lavra court found the furnace of the XVI century to feed the pilgrims

Archaeologists
found in the Trinity-Sergius Lavra remains
outbuildings brick stoves built
in the XVI
century
according to a press release from the Institute
of archaeology RAS, which went on
the editors of N+1.
Presumably,
the monks with their help carried Testament
Sergius: they cooked
not only for the monastic brethren, but
and for those coming to the monastery pilgrims.

Date
the Foundation of the Trinity-Sergius Lavra
it is considered 1337, when
Sergius of Radonezh settled on the hill
Makovec, who was 70 kilometers
to the North-East of Moscow. Through
for several years around his home began
to settle the other monks. In the second
half of the XIV
century
the Patriarch of Constantinople blessed
Sergius on the establishment of the monastery. In the first
the years, it consisted of
wooden buildings and was surrounded by
wooden fence. In the early fifteenth
century
the monastery was looted and burned by the Tatars,
but it quickly began to rebuild. In 1422
year in the monastery erected the first stone building, Trinity
Cathedral, and then began to build other
stone buildings: the refectory, the bell tower,
the kitchen, the Church. In 1530 was baptised here
the future Ivan the terrible. Becoming king, he
ordered to rebuild the monastery and
surround its stone walls. By the end of
XVI
century
Lavra became the largest monastery in
Russia.

Before
the death of the founder of the monastery Sergius
Radonezh bequeathed to the brethren to feed
coming to the monastery pilgrims.
The monks kept the tradition and this
is supported by evidence XIX
century.
But until recently, was not material evidence,
how was organized the reception of pilgrims
up to that time.

It
found by researchers from the Suburban
the expedition of Institute of archaeology Academy of Sciences
during security excavations
was conducted in the fall of 2019. In the layer
XVI
century
scientists have found outhouses brick oven.
According to sources from the archive of the Trinity-Sergius
laurels here at the turn of XV-XVI
centuries
was the monastery kitchen. Judging
the impressive size of the furnaces and
the fact that they built in the yard close to
the kitchen, they cooking not only
for monks, but for the coming
pilgrims.

“In
documents of the XIX century recorded
the stories that Laura was some boilers,
in which food is prepared for all
pilgrims. Found oven the
visible image, as lived abode
at this time, and the legends about the monastery
the boilers have received financial
the embodiment: according to the grounds of these
stoves, they were designed for
cooking for a large number
people,”
said the head of the Suburban expedition
Asya
Engovatova.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.