“Yandex” has published the list of laureates of the prize named after Ilya Segalovich, which is annually awarded for outstanding achievements in computer science. In 2020 awards were awarded to 12 people, is spoken in the message of the company.
Prize Ilya Segalovich, Yandex co-founder and Director of the company, was established in 2019. The award can qualify young professionals from, Belarus and Kazakhstan, noting research in the field of machine learning, computer vision, information retrieval and data mining, natural language processing and machine translation, and speech recognition and speech synthesis.
The list of winners is determined by the Board of the award, which includes managers of Yandex and scientists who collaborate with the company. Among them — Professor at Rutgers University in new Jersey, Ilya Muchnik, Professor at the University of Geneva and vildavsky winner Stanislav Smirnov, Professor, University of California at Berkeley Alexei Efros. This year prizes were awarded to nine young professionals (undergraduates and postgraduates) and three of the supervisor.
The winners in the category “Young researchers” this year were:
- Dmitry Kovalev — graduate student of MIPT engaged in various optimization problems.
- Larissa Makeeva — graduate student of MIPT. Got a solver of differential equations of elliptic type on ultrafine grids.
- Anastasia Yanina — graduate student of MIPT. Deals with the theme of interpretability of the reinforcement learning and the distillation of neural networks for the segmentation.
- Alexander Legkov — master student of higher school of Economics. Conducts research in the group of Bayesian methods — in particular, developing new methods of assembling neural networks.
- Dmitry Ivanov — post-graduate student of HSE. Works in the field of reinforcement learning. Also deals with the application of machine learning methods in the economy.
- Artem Gadetsky — master student of higher school of Economics. Deals with gradient optimization, has created a common method of reduction in variance for the stochastic optimization of the permutations.
- Denis Volkhonsky — graduate student of Skoltech. Conducts research in the field of three-dimensional computer vision and generate the video.
- Vahe Yeghiazaryan — graduate student of Skoltech. Engaged in deep learning and neural networks in machine vision.
- Vyacheslav Shalamov — graduate student of the University. Conducts research in the field of optimization of the performance of various machine learning algorithms.
The victory in nomination “Scientific leaders” won head of laboratory of data mining and predictive modeling IITP RAS Evgeny Burnaev (Skoltech), associate Professor, Department of mathematical fundamentals of management FUPI MIT Alexander Gasnikov (MIPT) and associate Professor of the Department of data analysis and artificial intelligence, faculty of computer science of the HSE, Sergei Obiedkov.
Graduate students and undergraduates will receive a cash award in the amount of 350 thousand rubles. The premium amount for supervisors is 700 thousand rubles.
The first award ceremony took place in 2019. This time the pandemic coronavirus ceremony had to be cancelled.